Frequently Asked Questions

University policy requires all freshmen and transfer students with fewer than 30 earned credits to live on campus. I-WORK students are not eligible to live off campus. If you are a freshman or transfer student, please contact the BYU-Hawaii Residential Life Office to determine your eligibility.

Yes. Students who live off campus can sign up for a meal plan here.

Single students who are under 25 years of age must reside in contract housing. Single students older than 25 years of age or married students may live in off-campus non-contract housing units.

There are no apartment complexes in Laie. Most of the off-campus housing consists of students renting homes in the community, or apartments that are connected to the landlord's property. Some of the off-campus facilities are rooms that landlords rent to students and they may share bathroom and living facilities with the family.

  • Off-campus housing costs are left entirely up to the landlord. The housing office doesn't regulate the prices charged for off-campus housing.
  • REMEMBER: It is the student's responsibility to inquire with the landlords that they contact concerning the details of the unit--whether cooking is available, what the living arrangements are, how the security deposit and refund are handled, etc. BYU–Hawaii contract housing is not the same as the approved housing programs at BYU–Provo and BYU–Idaho. Basic requirements are one bed per student, access to a bathroom and a place to put clothing. To ensure that your individual housing needs are met, we encourage you to get as much information from landlords and managers as possible.

Off-campus housing can range from a 1 minute walk to a 15 minute drive. Most of the off-campus housing in the community of Laie is within a 5-15 minute walk from campus.

All students who live on campus have a contract with housing. If a student wants to go off campus and still attend school, they should wait until their contract expires. Failure to wait for contract expiration will result in the student being charged for the normal on-campus room (and meal plan) rate in addition to any other arrangements made off campus. Early contract termination can only be done if there is a discontinuation of school (for serving a mission, going home, etc.); or if a single student gets married. If the contract termination is past the cancellation deadline, the student will be fined. For special circumstances please submit an exceptions form at the Housing Office.